The CBS Early Show aired a segment this morning called The Friendliest Skies. The star of the piece is a United Airline pilot, Captain Denny Flanagan, who takes it upon himself to bring customer service up to a whole new level. Here are the highlights:
- buys McDonald's hamburgers for passengers on delayed flights.
- takes pictures of pets stored in cargo to reassure passengers.
- makes sure children flying alone get window seats; calls their parents if there are unexpected delays.
- asks passengers to play in a contest in which they write down their best or worst flying experiences; he later posts them on United bulletin boards so that employees can learn about customers' experiences. (Contest winners, by the way, get a bottle of fine wine).
- writes personalized thank-you notes on the back of his business card for first-class passengers who are frequent fliers.