Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Beyond "outside the box": Three new books on marketing and creativity

Welcome back! I hope you all had a great Fourth of July holiday!

To get you back in a marketing mindset, the New York Times reviews three new books on the topic of sparking creativity in the business/marketing world: Juicing the Orange, How Invention Begins and Funny Business. Of these, Juicing the Orange appears to have the best reviews and seems to be more focused on marketing in a broad sense. The authors lay out a seven-step creativity plan, including some downright intriguing steps like, "always start from scratch" (don't we usually try to avoid doing this?) and "find a 'proprietary emotion' you can appeal to". I'm excited to read it once I widdle down my reading pile a bit. If you get to reading it before I do, please feel free to leave your take on it in the comments!

Update: BusinessWeek online has another review of Juicing the Orange.

Categories: must_reads

No comments: