Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Aim to target your market

Knowthis.com released Part 5 in its tutorial Principles of Marketing entitled Targeting Markets. It's only 10 short pages long and very informative. This tutorial outlines how to go about segmenting your target market and outlines 3 stages of segmenting variables. Each stage requires more specific information about your target, and therefore requires more money and time. I hadn't seen those variables broken down in that way before, and I thought it could be a useful way to think about segmenting.

I'm still trying to find an answer to the question I have about segmenting in the library world: How do you know you've chosen a "good" segment in the absence of profit? The best answer I've come up with is that a "good" segment is one that helps you meet your library's mission and goals, regardless of the raw numbers of patrons you've reached through your marketing efforts. Do you have ideas about that? I'm going to be speaking with some more with non-profit-marketing-types about this question and I'll pass along what I find.

No comments: